Monday, June 18, 2007

June 18th--Why Are We Whispering?

Alright, so I'm here. This is certainly going to be different. Lots of things are the same....some of the same people....same camp...same basic set up. But I knew as soon as I got on the camp grounds that things were a little off.

"Hold on a sec," he whispered as I passed him. "Just wait right here a sec with me, please," he repeated, pulling out his cigarettes, which aren't allowed on campgrounds at all. My mind raced for a reason why I needed to stop. Was he going to hit on me? Did he need to stand behind me while he lit up?

My mind was drained, though, and I didn't want to continue guessing. "Why?"

"Because," he pointed, "there are two cameras there...and there." Um, ok. Again, my mind is trying to piece together the info he's giving me to what I see out in front of me. There 'is' stuff set up in front to my left, but it looked more like construction than a film scene. I briefly assess the guy's mental state and giggle at my own thoughts of saying "and there are aliens over there, too, right?"

"Are we whispering for the same reason? The cameras?" Of course we were, but I felt funny standing awkwardly next to him with no real indication of what was going on. "Why are they filming?" I say, to continue the chit chat.

"Because we weren't good at anything else in college, so we film." Ah. That makes sense. He mumbles something else about how my purple shirt would confuse everyone if I walked across that path because they weren't prepped for purple. I uncomfortably giggle, trying to force my sleepy mind to focus. Just as I notice a huge light out front and a reflector, everything else begins to click into place, too. Within mere seconds, the strange guy next to me yells "Cut!" and another distant voice says "It's good." He pats me on the back and waves me on. Hmph. They really were filming. I notice a lady in a headset to my very far left and another puzzle piece falls into place. She's the one who stopped me in my car earlier and had me wait for no apparent reason. And the semi and van much, much further back....had studio equipment in it. I still don't know what they're filming or why, but it was only the first of several confusing details over the next few hours of things that would be drastically different this year.

No comments: